What I Used:
- 1/2 large yellow onion (enough for 1 1/2 cup chopped)
- 3-4 stalks celery (enough for 1 1/2 cup chopped)
- 8 cups shredded bread (you’ll want to use a hearty bread that will hold up to moisture and cooking)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 egg
Chop yellow onion
- Leave bread out overnight, covered loosely, to dry. Shred bread to make 8 cups
(1) Melt butter in large saucepan and sautee chopped onion and celery until tender.
(2) Mix spices together.
If preparing ahead of time, the vegetables, spices, and bread can be stored separately in airtight containers overnight.
(3) On day of serving, combine chicken broth and egg.
(4) Sprinkle spices over bread pieces, add vegetables, and combined chicken broth and egg. Coat bread pieces until wet through but still maintaining shape.
(5) Put coated bread crumbs in buttered baking dish and cover in foil.
(6) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Brown an additional 8 minutes at 425 degrees.
For more Thanksgiving Recipes, please check out this post on our Evolving Thanksgiving!