What I used (36 mini pretzel dogs)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt + more for sprinkling
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 4 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 cups hot water
- ½ cup baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 packs hot dogs, cut in half to equal 48 mini hot dogs
- Prepare yeast.
- In small bowl, combine 1 1/2 cup warm water, 1 tbsp sugar, and 2 teaspoons kosher salt in a bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top, and let the mixture stand until the yeast becomes foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Melt butter.
You can either prep the remaining ingredients or complete (1)-(3) and then finish the mise-en-place.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare egg wash
- Separate 1 egg, retaining the yolk.
- Beat egg yolk with 1 tbsp water.
- Cut hot dogs into thirds (we use the longer Kirkland brand from Costco for this purpose).
- Place two baking sheets (one on top of the other) and spray with nonstick spray.
(1) Combine flour, butter, and yeast mixture in a large bowl. Mix together until they form a ball.
(2) Remove from bowl and knead lightly on a floured surface for 2 minutes.
(3) Form into a smooth ball, spray large bowl with non-stick spray, and place dough in bowl. Cover with a moistened kitchen towel and set aside for 1 hour.
(4) Place dough on a lightly oiled surface. Pinch off finger-sized strips of dough.
(5) Roll out dough (like a play-dough snake). Place “snake” a short distance away from one end of the hot dog. Roll dough around the hot dog, overlapping edges, until you reach a short distance away from the other end of the hot dog.
(6) In a metal bowl, add 4 cups hot water and baking soda. Whisk until baking soda has dissolved.
(7) Using tongs, dip each pretzel dogs into the baking soda solution and place on a folded kitchen towel.
(8) Move pretzel dogs to prepared baking sheet. Brush pretzel dogs with egg wash and sprinkle with salt.
(9) Bake in preheated oven, 15-17 minutes.