What I Used:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light karo syrup
- 1 lb butter
- 12 oz chocolate chips
These pictures were taken while completing a double batch of the above recipe.
(1) Butter wax paper and set aside.
(2) Place sugar, karo syrup, and butter in a large saucepan.
(3) On medium-high heat, combine the ingredients until they reach “hard crack” stage on a candy thermometer (I prefer to test using an ice-water technique). This will take some time and require constant stirring. I’ve included pictures of the various stages of the candy making process below.
(4) Pour onto prepared wax paper and allow to cool briefly.
(5) Scatter chocolate chips over the top of the toffee.
(6) Using a spatula, spread the melting chocolate evenly over the toffee and allow to cool.
(7) When fully cooled/dry, break into small pieces and serve.